Northrop Grumman Staff Cmptr Sys Architect in United States
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION: Yes
RELOCATION ASSISTANCE: No relocation assistance available
CLEARANCE TYPE: Top Secret
TRAVEL: Yes, 10% of the Time
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman’s Enterprise Services (ES) organization is seeking a Cloud Architect at the Falls Church, VA Corporate office. The Cloud Architect (CA) will be responsible within the ES organization for supporting the NG multi-cloud strategy for Enterprise Cloud Services Group (ECSG) as part of the Multi-Cloud program. This includes supporting the activities for secure cloud development, adoption and integration at an enterprise level with a focus on the mission and customer needs of all NG sectors, external partners, programs of record and Department of Defense (DoD) stakeholders.
This individual will be a subject matter expert (SME) with Cloud (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS) strategy, security, edge nodes, containerization and consulting experience, capable of visualizing what it means to go from legacy computing environments to utilizing the best, world-class secure Cloud computing offerings available for delivery at an enterprise scale.
The ideal candidate will have the capability of building maturity models to lead ES and its sector customers to realize their strategic roadmaps, security needs and key objectives for an accelerated enterprise Multi-Cloud computing solution to serve all of NG customers, teams and employees.
A key aspect of the ECSG position is to coordinate the execution of a ECSG operating model to support cloud activities across the sectors.
The CA will take responsibility to drive the processes, onboarding, tools and product capabilities necessary to identify, startup, develop, plan and execute secure multi-cloud/cloud offerings for the purposes of impacting business outcomes across NGC. The CA will also collaboration and team with other technical SMEs, business stakeholders, and functional organizations across NG.
• Aid the development of a well-informed Cloud strategy, manage the adoption process and implementation strategies.
• Promotes adaptive design and modern engineering practices across the enterprise portfolio, facilitating the reuse of ideas, components, services, and proven patterns.
• Responsible for evaluating and recommending best-of-breed Cloud architectures for the enterprise, to include providing expertise architecting, designing, engineering and migrating legacy infrastructure and applications to the Cloud; using industry best practice Agile-DevSecOps and containerization methodologies or strategies.
• Provide expertise with Cloud-to-Cloud migrations.
• Regularly evaluate cloud infrastructure, applications, and software.
• Work closely with IT security to monitor and refine the corporation’s security framework.
• Offer guidance in infrastructure movement techniques including bulk application transfers into the cloud.
• Responsible for ensuring that all Cloud solutions comply with industry and Government mandated security protocols and best-practices; working closely with our Information Security Service line.
• Responsible for ensuring technical project deliverables are completed accurately and on time.
• Responsible for escalating issues, problems, risks, and constraints to the appropriate levels for clarification and resolution.
• Responsible for design and engineering of Cloud Based Infrastructure solutions based on AWS or Azure Cloud
• Responsible for communication with senior/executive leadership.
• Responsible for keeping abreast of new and emerging technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide thought leadership for creating strategies that drive enterprise transformation activities with particular focus on governing, creating, and maintaining enterprise-wide architecture practices.
• Maintain a holistic perspective of the organization’s strategy, processes, and information and technology assets.
• Look years ahead to consider the long-term consequences for the enterprise when choosing a technical direction, proposing a technology investment, proposing harmonization of the environments, proposing simplification opportunities, or advising a business leader on strategic issues.
• Catalogs, develops, coordinates, communicates, maintains, and enforces overall Enterprise Architecture Models, Representations, Initiatives, Capabilities, and Standard Components used by the Enterprise to perform all business and technology related activities.
• Integrate across major enterprise initiatives, identifying and resolving inefficiencies, conflicts, and gaps and promoting cross-portfolio planning.
• Interact with corporate and sector CIOs, and other senior leaders, serving as an expert advisor in the development, implementation, and maintenance of enterprise-wide architecture practices.
• Support sector strategy function including investment planning and prioritization process.
• Experience architecting automated, fault-tolerant, scalable Cloud environments adhering to best practices.
• Maintain Cloud Infrastructure in Optimal Configuration from both technical and budgetary perspectives
• Experience refactoring or rebuilding on-premise applications/infrastructure and migration to Public Cloud (AWS and
• Deploy, test and document development, pre-production, and production environments
• Train and mentor Architects and Engineers - Provides guidance and coaching to solution and system architects, ensuring consistency with enterprise architecture tenants, Lean-Agile and tenets, user experience mindset, and cybersecurity requirements
• Assist in preparing cost analysis based on expected usage
• Improve the operational capabilities of enterprise infrastructure
• Own communication with stakeholders at all levels - Internally "sell" the architecture process, its outcome, and ongoing results through effective communication and influencing skills.
• Support the investigation of reported and suspected outage issues, documenting issue, resolution, maintaining a knowledge base of known issues
• Gain an understanding of the existing technical environments and workloads that are targeted to migrate to the cloud, taking note of any potential gaps or risks.
• Perform Analyses of Alternatives for selection of new tools to replace toolsets that are not supported in the cloud, not optimized for the cloud or do not take advantage of newer leading edge technology available in the cloud.
• Work with the team to build out prototypes of application environments in the cloud as a proof of concept, while building insight into what works and what doesn't work as well.
• Make recommendations on how to achieve additional cost savings taking advantage of cloud-enabled technologies.
• Perform testing of cloud-based infrastructure, to include performance testing, high availability testing, disaster recovery testing, etc.
• Support the Stand up software development lifecycle tools, such as source control, issue management, knowledge base, service desk support, etc.
• Support the build-out of development, QA, and production environments within the cloud
• Work closely with the development team to establish build environments which take advantage of continuous integration, continuous deployment, etc. to reduce the overall time for code to be deployed to production.
• Lead technical discussions, work collaboratively with others, and communicate effectively with customers and team members.
• BA/BS degree with a minimum of 14 years of relevant IT professional experience; 12 years of experience with a MS degree, 9 years of experience with a PHD.
• At least 5 years of Cloud design, execution and supporting of Cloud based solutions.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Cloud computing technologies and current computing trends.
• Hands-on experience designing and/or implementing cloud-based and/or cloud-native solutions in production workloads.
• Experience working in a DevSecOps environment with teams.
• Working knowledge and experience with Kubernetes and Containers
• Experience communicating complicated cloud reports to management and other IT development partners.
• US Citizenship
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
• Experience using Amazon Web Services, including using AWS native services (Cloud Formation, S3, etc.).
• Understanding of Agile (SAFe), DevSecOps and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) is strongly desired.
• AWS or Microsoft Cloud Certification desired for all personnel
• At least 3 years in enterprise Cloud deployments desired
• At least 4 years of development experience desired • understanding of Linux and Windows operating system
• Advanced troubleshooting skills
• Classified program and international experience a plus
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or related field.
• Multiple Cloud platforms (Commercial and Government) – AWS, Azure, Google, IBM
• Capability in architecture design, system evaluation, system analysis, and infrastructure assessment
• Experience with AWS CloudWatch and other automation services
• Experience with Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) tools
• Experience Maintaining account documentation, such as architecture diagrams and portal links.
• Master’s degree preferred
• Agile (SAFe) experience preferred
Salary Range: $141,400.00 - $212,200.00
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
We are a pioneering company.
With careers across all areas: air, cyber, land, sea and space – our 90,000 employees work as one to defend and define the future. Northrop Grumman careers and internships are as varied as your interests, with a lifetime of potential that will give you every opportunity to do your best work. Working together with people from many backgrounds, personal passions and disciplines, we share a drive to push the boundaries of science, technology and engineering to meet the ever evolving needs of our customers worldwide.