Northrop Grumman Tooling Engineer Level 2/3 - Space Components in San Diego, California
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrup Grumman Space Systems Division designs, manufactures and operates small and medium-class spacecraft for communications, imaging, scientific, exploration and national security space applications. The Group is leading supplier of space components that power and enable satellites of all classes, provides technical engineering services to government agencies and laboratories, and is developing exciting new satellite servicing and advanced space flight technologies.
United in pride and shared goals, Northrup Grumman employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions.Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Northrup Grumman is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Our San Diego, CA or Magna, Utah location is seeking a Tooling Engineer Level 2/3 to join our team.
The Tooling Engineer Level 2/3 position performs functions associated with all manufacturing operations in layup and panel fabrication.
As a Tool Engineer, you will designs industrial machinery and equipment, tools, dies, gauges, jigs, fixtures, and machine attachments required for production or experimental use, considering such factors as accessibility, economy, mobility, and performance requirements.
• Designs production molds, assembly fixtures, handling fixtures, drill jigs, machining fixtures, test fixtures, inspection fixtures, and other tooling required for manufacturing, handling and test.
• Investigates pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials and equipment, interchangeability, strength, contractual specification requirements, and cost.
• Contributes to the design of major components or major portions of a functional system to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations.
• Utilizes computer-aided design (CAD) equipment, develops basic data, completes preliminary analysis for material sizing, and makes preliminary layouts, sketches and notes necessary to present design proposals and/or concepts to internal and external customers.
• Creates layouts and drawings of complex assemblies and details parts of devices, mechanisms, and structures.
• Checks completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness, conformity to standards, procedures, specifications, and accuracy of calculations and dimensioning.
• Identifies design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommends revisions and/or improvements in design layout to fellow responsible engineers or designers.
• Works with internal and external customers and suppliers to support the design and procurement process.
• Supports development of technical solutions to complex problems which require regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
• Applies current technology and aids in the development of new technologies.
• Interacts with senior internal and external personnel on technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations
• BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 2 years' related experience required; MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 0 years' related experience preferred
• US Citizen
• Some design experience required/ tool design experience a plus
• CAD solid modeling (experience with NX a plus) and drafting experience required
• Knowledge and experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) a plus
• Experience with Teamcenter a plus
• Knowledge of composite material properties and applications a plus
• Experienced with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to clearly present technical information
• Strong customer service skills
• Able to work seated/standing at a desk in five hour increments.
• Requires repetitive arm, hand, and wrist movements in five hour increments.
• Occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering