Northrop Grumman System Safety Engineer, Sr. Principal in Redondo Beach, California
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems is seeking an exceptionally qualified and proven System Safety Engineer.
The candidate will be expected to support tasks involving System Safety which may include:
• Reviews product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishes safety requirements for assigned systems.
• Independently analyzes and recommends safety criteria in system design, equipment and procedures to control or eliminate hazards.
• Develops safety documents as required to support customer and test/operational range requirements.
• Develops a System Safety Program Plan, and performs audits of operational areas and reports effectiveness of the system safety program.
• Participates in accident investigations involving damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions.
• Evaluates the interrelationship of system safety requirements and other aspects of concept design and development requirements to ensure the most cost effective program.
• Independently completes safety analysis including Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), Test Hazard Analyses (THA), and support incorporating updates into the existing Hazard Tracking System (HTS) records and Safety Analysis Report (SAR)
Bachelor's degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 9+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience OR
Master's degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 7+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience OR
PhD in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 4+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience
Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, at least ONE of the following active U.S. Government security clearances:
Dept of Defense Secret level with a background investigation date within 10 years OR
Dept of Energy L clearance with a background investigation date within 10 years
System Engineering background with
specialization in System Safety
Experience performing System Safety across all phases of a program
Experience performing two or more of the following Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), Test Hazard Analyses (THA), and support incorporating updates into the existing Hazard Tracking System (HTS) records and Safety Analysis Report (SAR)
Experience developing a System Safety Program Plan
Software Safety experience
Familiarity with MIL-STD-882E
Familiarity with OSHA Standards
Experience working on Space or Laser programs
Experience leading a System Safety team/effort
Experience with DoD safety programs highly desired
Experience performing Safety on the floor during Integration and Test, Assembly, and moving of hardware
Ability to apply extensive technical expertise in System Safety, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines
Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) and clearly present technical approaches and findings
Ability to develop technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity
Ability to work independently, without appreciable direction
Ability to guide the successful completion of major programs
Active Program Access
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Environmental, Health & Safety