Northrop Grumman Optical Engineer Systems 4 in Redondo Beach, California
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of major technological advancements throughout our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Systems Engineering Organization within the Aerospace Systems Engineering has an opening for a Systems Engineer4 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in the Space Park Center of Excellence to include Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach and El Segundo CA.
The RT&E Organization is looking for an Optics Modeling Engineer to serve as SME in assistance of payload testing and calibration development. Tasks include developing mathematical models in Matlab, writing image processing algorithms, supporting generation of on-orbit calibration scripts, and assessing payload performance based on defined metrics and requirements. Must understand FPAs, be able to read ICDs, and develop an interface tool for operating with them.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an ABETaccredited university and9+ years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace/defense environment OR
-Master's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an ABET accredited university and7+ years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace/defense environment OR
-PhD Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an ABET accredited university and 4+ years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace/defense environment
Active SCI clearance
Experience with image processing algorithms and filtering techniques
- Background in Optics and/or EO sensors with an understanding of the physics of FPAs and how they are read out, noise sources etc
- Experience with micro bolometers and/or FPAs
- Experience in lab testing of optics
- Experience with flight hardware and operating in a clean room
- Experience with mission operations tool development
- Experience with Optical Design tools like Zemax, Oslo, CodeV, Fred or Tracepro.
- Experience in modeling and simulation of payload performance
- Experience with mapping and implementing customer requirements to software/scripting
- Active DoD Top Secret clearance with SCI
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.