At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems is seeking a Principal Software Safety Engineer/ Sr. Principal Software Safety Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Melbourne, FL .
• Applies knowledge, methodologies, and principles of safety engineering as defined in MIL-STD-882E and Software Safety engineering as defined in the Joint Software System Safety Engineering Handbook (JSSSEH)
• Reviews product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishes safety requirements for assigned systems
• Independently analyzes and recommends safety criteria in system design, equipment, and procedures to control or eliminate hazards
• Develops requirements and designs, assess implementations for hazard and causal factors to satisfy critical system safety objectives
• Develops and evaluates systems, associated support equipment and facilities, networks, and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable safety specifications and standards
• Collaborate with various design teams in the execution of various MIL-STD-882E hazard analyses
• Applies engineering principles to investigate, analyze, plan, design, test, or evaluate military systems
• Reviews and prepares engineering and technical analyses, reports, change proposals, and other technical documentation for system safety and in support of Airworthiness Certification IAW MIL-HDBK-516
• Reviews architecture, requirements, and interface artifacts for safety on complex hardware/ software systems
• Reviews Test Plans and Procedures for safety requirements verification and potential hazardous operations
• Perform hardware/ software safety analysis (Experience in AGILE development)
• Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of leadership and customers and work independently
We offer flexible work arrangements, a 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off, phenomenal learning opportunities, exposure to a wide variety of projects and customers, and a very friendly team environment. We are looking for self-motivated, proactive, and goal-oriented people to help us grow our services and become even better at what we do.
This requisition may be filled at a higher grade based on qualifications listed below. This position is contingent on verification of DoD Secret Security Clearance prior to start.
• Principal Software Safety Engineer : Bachelor of Science degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline with 5 years of experience OR Master of Science degree in a STEM discipline with 3 years of experience
• Sr. Principal Software Safety Engineer : Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline with 9 years of experience OR Master of Science degree in a STEM discipline with 7 years of experience
• Demonstrated ability to analyze, recommend, and drive safety into system design, equipment, and procedures in order to mitigate or eliminate hazards
• Ability to apply system safety engineering principles in accordance with MIL-STD-882 and analyses such as preliminary hazard analyses, function/system/subsystem hazard analyses, fault tree analyses, software system safety analyses and safety assessment reports
• Familiar with requirements development, system/software architecture, hardware/software design, software code implementation, test, verification, and validation• Demonstrated ability to develop, review, update and approve system safety artifacts and system safety requirements
• An active DoD Secret clearance or higher (with a background investigation within the past 6 years or enrolled into Continuous Evaluation)
• Must have the ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance.
• BS in Software Engineering or Computer engineering
• Familiarity with requirements tools such as DOORS, Cameo, CPLM, Safety and Reliability tools such as PTC Windchill Quality Solutions, Agile software tools, JIRA, FISHEYE and/or Confluence
• Strong working knowledge of Military systems safety and process standards and their Industry equivalent such as: MIL-STD-882, DO-178B/C, DO-248, DO-254, ARP-4754, ARP-4761, MIL-HDBK-516C, etc.
• Working knowledge of flight test engineering, Software systems integration engineering, and software test engineering
• Working knowledge of detect and avoid systems and associated process standards such as DO-365
• Experience in Hardware/Software Integration
• System Safety Experience
• Experience in military aviation
Salary Range: $90,400 - $135,600
Salary Range 2: $112,000 - $168,000
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.