Northrop Grumman Sr Principal Systems Engineer - (OSC) Optical Signatures Code in Huntsville, Alabama
Northrop Grumman Space Launch & Missile Defense Sector is seeking an (OSC) Optical Signatures Code Sr Principal Systems Engineer to join our team in Huntsville, AL.
The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's Ground Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) Analysis team. GMD is currently the only deployed strategic system that can defend the United States from long- range attack by threat ICBMs. We need a motivated and innovative candidate with experience in infrared targets and countermeasures.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Apply expertise in engineering/physics to support signature code analysis from OSC
Help train and mentor other engineers in learning how to use OSC and analyze output files and results
Present and explain results to other engineering teams and managers
Leverage their software programming knowledge to create independent tools to assist in automation and evaluation of results from the simulation. This includes tools to load the simulation on blade servers, pre-processing tools for quality checks and formatting, and post-processing tools for formatting outputs, plotting results, and analyzing results
• BS Degree in a technical field and 9 years' of relevant experience; 7 years' with a MS Degree; 4 years' with a PHD.
• Experience in modeling and/or assessing infrared targets and countermeasures
• Experience in writing software scripts and tools to automate processes such as quality control checks, data formatting, and managing runs on a blade server cluster (preferred software skills in Matlab or Python)
• Experience using Optical Signatures Code (OSC) for generating IR signatures.
• Position requires a current Secret Clearance and U.S. citizenship
• Advanced degree in a technical field (engineering, science, computer science, or mathematics)
• Basic understanding of common missile defense concepts such as system and source tracks, application of radars to tracking, covariance and error, defended area, and the kill chain concept of operations
• Experience working in a missile defense program (GMD, Aegis BMD, THAAD, etc)
• Experience in using OPTISIG for IR signature modeling
• Familiarity with common threat systems and be able to use subject matter expertise in IR modeling to assess OSC models delivered by the government.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering