Northrop Grumman Technical Lead: Sr. Principal Electrical Engineer RF (Top Secret) - Space / Satellite Systems in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today!
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense, and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems, and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems, and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
In this role you will work in a Technical Lead role on National Security Systems (NSS) programs. You will focus on the development of space communications systems and concepts through the production of flight programs. As a radio frequency (RF) subsystem lead engineer, you will work in a team environment to define and describe robust RF solutions to challenging applications while working within system constraints on mass, power, and volume. To be successful, you should have strong technical skills, ability to organize and direct the efforts of a multi-disciplined engineering team, and demonstrated motivation to investigate new concepts.
In particular you will be involved in:
• Design and analysis of communications systems for satellite applications. You must be familiar with RF analyses such as link budgets, digital modulation/coding, gain/loss budgets, noise figure, etc.
• Requirements flow-down from top-level customer documents through subsystem-level definition to component-level specification. You will be expected to produce clear, concisely written documents that will be used as the technical basis for high dollar value procurements of RF equipment such as converters, filters and high power amplifiers
• Prepare and present design reviews for internal and external customers. You will have regular interaction with the internal engineering and program management team as well as external customers
• Subcontractor management, oversight of RF component design and development (travel required,) and manufacturing interface definition including performance specification, interface control drawing, and statement of work generation. You will work with potential subcontractors to ensure any technical solution meets the top-level customer's needs while satisfying system and program constraints
• After transition from concept to production program, you may also support ongoing technical interface with the subcontractors during testing, component manufacturing, as well as integration and test of the communications system including unit-level functional and environmental testing, spacecraft level testing, and in-orbit checkout
• You should have familiarity with the operation of standard RF test equipment (i.e., spectrum analyzers, power meters, network analyzers)
• Possess experience in the areas of satellite communications subsystem design, operation, and/or repair and maintenance
In this role, you will lead a team of RF engineers responsible for designing and delivering components (i.e., antennas, filters, transceivers, switches, etc.) for the overall RF subsystem. As the RF lead, you will also be working with the other leads and systems engineering to develop and deliver the spacecraft on time and under budget.
• Must have U.S. Citizenship with a current or active Top Secret level clearance
• BSEE (or related field) with some combination of the following course work: microwave theory, satellite communications, radio-wave propagation, electromagnetics, and antennas. Should possess good understanding of communications and microwave theory
• 9 years of related experience (Or 7 years with a Masters; 4 years with a PhD)
• MSEE a strong plus
• Ability to work with others from engineering and non-engineering disciplines in a fast-paced team environment
• Good oral presentation skills and comfort with customer interaction. Ability to write technical documents clearly and concisely
• Strong skills in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel)
• Experience with digital modulation/demodulation schemes for high data rates
• Experience with microwave component/system measurement
• Familiar with engineering analysis tools such as MATLAB/Simulink and STK
• Experience leading engineering teams in development or production of RF systems
• Familiar with cost account management concepts, including cost and labor estimation, task scheduling and earned value tracking
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering