Northrop Grumman Staff Engineer Systems in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Successful candidates for this position will be an employee within the Tactical Space Division at Northrop Grumman Space Systems located in Dulles, VA. This position offers the opportunity to work on an exciting space flight program. The Staff Systems Engineer Architect is responsible for key Systems Engineering (SE) deliverables as part of the SE Integrated Team at various program levels i.e. Mission-, Element-, Segment-level, including the direction and results of a multi-disciplined engineering development of the space system architecture & elements of for flight program deliverables or new business concepts and proposals. This description applies to a number of open positions within the SE directorate of the Northrop Grumman Space Systems Tactical Space Division.
In this senior-level role, the Staff Systems Engineer Architect position is expected to be self-directed using previous experience to help lead Spacecraft and/or Mission design and analysis efforts, Mission Operations and Ground Segment development, or Specialty Systems Engineering Analysis. Candidates must be able to recognize and mitigate instrument, spacecraft, ground segment, and mission technical issues while operating within budget and on schedule.
• Provide major support to all or selected segments for the SE Integrated Team
• Lead and critique space vehicle and/or ground segment design and analysis efforts in general
• Conceive and develop solutions to complex analytical, design, and test problems that the program may experience
• Develop and provide input to the Program Systems Engineering Management Plan
• Space segment chief technical interface at all scheduled program meetings and reviews
• Technical management of the payload, and major bus subcontracted program elements
• Planning and conduct of all contractual space segment technical reviews
• Responsible for consistency of the reliability and safety contamination and other product assurance plans with objectives
• Responsible to write monthly status and technical performance reviews and reports
• Perform technical DECA (Designated Export Compliance Administrator) duties (if required)
• EVMS baseline generation, tracking/maintenance and variance analysis
• Mentor, guide, direct and advise junior staff
Candidate Must Possess the Following Skills:
• Ability to coordinate a system engineering team to develop system requirements
• Ability to evaluate and adjust system requirements in order to best meet program objectives
• Ability to develop and manage system interfaces to integrate multi-element systems
• Ability to translate program objectives and customer requirements into system requirements
• Ability to allocate requirements among multiple elements of an integrated space system
• Must have a Bachelors Degree or higher in Aerospace Engineering or related technical field, and 14 or more years of applicable experience, or a Masters Degree and 12 or more years of applicable experience, or a PhD and 9 or more years of applicable experience
• Extensive technical experience in systems engineering and integration of space systems. Minimum 12 years of experience in aerospace systems design, development, manufacture, test or operations, including 2 years of technical or project leadership positions.
• Experience with system engineering requirement tools (Cradle, CORE or DOORS) and processes
• Experience in requirements development and management processes
• Experience in development and maintenance of interface control documents and related processes
• Experience in avionics system testing and evaluation (flight and ground testing)
• Experience with various technical analysis tools such as MATLAB and STK
• Experience in any of the following areas is also desired: power systems and modeling, avionics or digital electronics design, risk analysis, communications, human interface electronics or spacecraft integration and testing
• Experience with Mission Operations for spacecraft
• Knowledge of Launch Vehicles, System Safety, System Reliability, Contamination Control, EMI, Space Environments (Radiation, Surface Charging, etc.), and Human Factors is also desired.
• Experience and/or training in Earned Value Management Systems
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering