Northrop Grumman Staff Electrical Engineer: Subsystems/Command & Data Handling - Space / Satellite Systems (Top Secret) in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today!
Northrop Grumman is seeking a technical leader to act as our Command and Data Handling (CDH)/Subsystems Engineer. This customer-facing position supports program staff in the analysis, investigation, and resolution of engineering electrical systems problems, subsystem requirements development, tasking, and schedule management as required by the program. Additionally, this role interacts with the internal staff and customer base, provides direction as appropriate to design or technician staff, reports statuses, and participates in internal and external design reviews. Depending on assignment, this role may task other technical team members.
In this role, you will take ownership of the CDH subsystems and be responsible to meet relevant flowed down customer requirements as it relates to these subsystems. You should have sound knowledge of physical components and the relationship these will have within various systems to ensure all systems integrate well and perform as expected. At a higher level, we will expect you to define, articulate, and flow down customer requirements to other team members and staff regarding the systems you support. You may also be asked to manage budgeting and schedules, lead the CDH subsystem team delivering qualified avionics hardware that meet customer requirements to the Integration and Test team, and act as the customer-facing representative of the project for the CDH subsystem. At the highest levels, you will act as a systems architect to system and hardware development as well as manage the team supporting your project.
To be a strong candidate for this role you should have Electrical Engineering experience and/or education with experience defining Electrical systems that meet customer requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop subsystem requirements
• Develops cost estimates for proposals and programs as required
• Develops and manages schedule and resources as required by the program
• Effectively operate within a multi-discipline engineering team
• Provide technical oversight to ensure the electrical system is compliant and verifiable at the avionics digital and analog telemetry level
• Analyzes and interprets requirements at the space vehicle level and flows down requirements to lower level specifications
• Evaluates and coordinates electrical system designs to ensure system-level requirements are met
• Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required
• Develops space vehicle level interface designs
• Provides technical coordination of vendors and suppliers
• Represents the organization in providing solutions to technical issues associated with specific projects
• Analyzes and designs avionics systems in assigned area by utilizing standard engineering and scientific principles
• Other duties as assigned
• Must have U.S. Citizenship with a current or active Top Secret level clearance.
• A Bachelor's Degree in a STEM Degree (preferably Electrical Engineering) and 14 years of related experience (Or a Master's Degree and 12 years of experience or a PhD and 9 yrs of experience.)
• Experience with creating and tracking schedules using project tracking tools such as Microsoft project
• Experience with EVMS and creating variance reports
• Experience leading teams of engineers managing resources and schedules
• Experience with requirements tracking tool such as DOORS
Digital design experience
Experience developing FPGAs
Prior experience leading a team
Strong verbal and written communications skills
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman offers a competitive and robust benefits program.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
Dental & Vision coverage
Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
Paid Time Off
Health & Wellness Resources
Flexible Schedules (For example the ability to work a 9/80 work schedule, which allows an employee to work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday and take every other Friday off of work)
For more details please visit our total rewards site or chat with one of our recruiters to learn more.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering