Northrop Grumman Principal Engineer Systems - CCS Science and Exploration in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Successful candidates for this position will be a Systems Engineer within the Tactical Space Division at Northrop Grumman Space Systems located in Dulles, VA. This position offers the opportunity to work on exciting space flight programs designed to further human exploration beyond Low Earth Orbit.
The Systems Engineer is responsible for key Systems Engineering (SE) deliverables as part of an SE Integrated Team at various program levels i.e. Mission-, Element-, Segment-level, including the direction and results of a multi-disciplined engineering development of the space system architecture & elements of for flight program deliverables or new business concepts and proposals.
The Systems Engineer position is expected to be self-directed using previous experience to help lead Spacecraft and/or Mission design and analysis efforts, Mission Operations and Ground Segment development, or Specialty Systems Engineering Analysis. Candidates must be able to recognize and mitigate instrument, spacecraft, ground segment, and mission technical issues while operating within budget and on schedule.
• Provide support to all or selected segments for the SE Integrated Team
• Lead and critique space vehicle and/or ground segment design and analysis efforts
• Conceive and develop solutions to complex analytical, design, and test problems
• Develop and provide input to the Program Systems Engineering Management Plan
• Technical management of major bus subcontracted program elements
• Support contractual space segment technical reviews
• Responsible to write monthly status and technical performance reviews and reports
• EVMS baseline generation, tracking/maintenance and variance analysis
• Must have a Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering field with five years of experience or Masters Degree in an Engineering field with three years of experience
• Experience in a technical field with a preference of production or hardware development
• Proficiency in related engineering programs, Microsoft Office, Microsoft SharePoint, Matlab, etc.
• Translate program objectives and customer requirements into system requirements
• Complete functional decomposition of system requirements
• Develop and maintain Systems Concept of Operations
• Evaluate and adjust system requirements in order to best meet program objectives
• Develop and manage system interfaces to integrate multi-element systems
• Allocate requirements among multiple elements of an integrated space system
• Either self-experience or experience interfacing with team members in any of the following fields:
o Command and Data Handling design and development
o Power distribution system design and development
o Mechanical design and development
o Thermal control system design and development
o Automotive and motor design and development
o Radio communication design and development
o Requirements development and management processes
o Experience in development and maintenance of interface control documents
o Experience in avionics system testing and evaluation
• Knowledge of Launch Vehicles, System Safety, System Reliability, Contamination Control, EMI, Space Environments (Radiation, Surface Charging, etc.), and Human Factors is also desired.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering