Northrop Grumman Mechanical/Propulsion Engineer 2/3 - (Ability to obtain clearance) in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they are making history.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems Sector designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Tactical Space Systems division is seeking a mid to senior level Principal Mechanical Engineer to assist an experienced team of mechanical engineers to perform mechanical, structural and/or thermal analysis on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems.
Responsibilities may include the following:
Researches, plans, designs and develops mechanical products and systems such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines and mechanical, thermal hydraulic or heat transfer systems for production, transmission, measurement, and use of energy
Applies research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines, and/or machines.
This position can be filled at the Mechanical/Propulsion Engineer or Principal Mechanical/Propulsion Engineer level. Qualifications for Mechanical Propulsion Engineer and Principal Mechancial/Propulsion Engineer levels below.
• Mechanical/Propulsion Engineer - Bachelor's Degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area (Degrees in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering highly preferred) and 2+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 0 years of experience.
• Principal Mechanical/Propulsion Engineer - Bachelor's Degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area (Degrees in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering highly preferred) and 5+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 3+ years of experience; PhD.
• Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain government clearance.
• Relevant course work and experience in fluid mechanics, compressible flow and/or thermodynamics of propulsion systems.
• Experience with industry standard fluid/ thermal and/or mechanical analysis software, design standards and/or documentation related to propulsion system or subsystem design.
• Experience with MATLAB or similar engineering tools.
Domestic travel may be required.
• Experience with designing propulsion systems or fluid systems including review of relevant analysis, manufacturing drawings, authoring test procedures or hands on pressure or hot fire, engine test support.
• Experience in authoring performance specifications and/or statements of work required for the procurement of propulsion system fluid components, test support contracts or other related contractual technical documentation.
• Current or active Top Secret/SCI clearance.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering