Northrop Grumman Mechanical/Principal Mechanical Systems Engineer 2/3 (Space Systems) - (Ability to obtain clearance) in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they are making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Division designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Innovation Systems Space Systems Group is seeking an entry to mid-level Mechanical Engineer to assist an experienced team of mechanical engineers to perform mechanical, systems, and design engineering on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems.
This position is located in Dulles, VA.
Responsibilities may include the following:
• Work on all Spacecraft Structures, Payload, and Antenna mechanical hardware from requirements all the way through integration and test.
• Perform detailed design tasks using Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other software tools to develop and document designs for manufacturing and ultimately assembly into spacecraft.
• Interfacing and communicating with customers, program and functional management, other spacecraft engineering disciplines, and component suppliers.
• Develop test plans and procedures and support structural testing at the component and spacecraft levels.
• Perform cost and schedule planning for projects and proposals.
• Expected to be self-motivated and provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems under general supervision.
• Skills include, but not limited to, Computer Aided Design (CAD), knowledge of Geometric Dimension and Tolerancing (GD&T), 3D Printing, Design for Manufacturing, and Mechanics of Metallic and Composite Materials.
This position may be performed at a level 2 or level 3 engineer depending on the qualifications, skills, and experience of the candidate.
Mechanical Engineer 2 - Bachelor's Degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area (Degrees in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering highly preferred) and 2+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 0+ years of experience.
Mechanical Engineer 3 - Bachelor's Degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area (Degrees in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering highly preferred) and 5+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 3+ years of experience.
• Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain government clearance.
• Ability to perform structural engineering tasks associated with design, manufacturing, and testing of structures.
• Experience with the fundamentals of spacecraft (or similar hardware) to include layout, design, and build.
• Experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, preferably CREO.
• Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) standards and preparation of manufacturing documentation.
• Experience with 3D Printing, Design for Manufacturing, and hands-on hardware fabrication.
• Demonstrated leadership experience.
• Proficiency in Microsoft office suite.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering