Northrop Grumman Fault Management and System Autonomy - Sr. Principal Engineer Systems - National Security Space - Top Secret in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
This Systems Engineering position is an engineering support role in National Security Space programs within the Tactical Space Systems Division at Northrop Grumman Space Systems. The job responsibilities will be as an individual-contributor and deliverable/product lead within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. Successful candidate will perform traditional Systems Engineering functions, including requirements synthesis and flow-down, verification/validation planning, system trades study support, systems analysis, coordination of design efforts, and management of technical budgets& interface definitions. The application of these systems engineering will be in the context of fault management and system autonomy. The candidate must be able to assist in the formulation of system design, definition of concept of operations, and systems analysis for failure mode and effects.
The candidate will be responsible for identification of these modes and mitigation through autonomous or operational controls. Responsibilities will also include interaction with program, functional and customer leadership.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform general systems engineering duties related to fault management, which may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities. Tasks may also include assisting with Command & Telemetry database development and validation of its content. The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, or mission operations. Position will also include responsibilities relating to integration, testing, and operational readiness of spacecraft and payloads. Candidate may be called on to assist in new business activities, such as conceptual design and analysis for proposals and funded studies, and may include authoring sections for both.
The engineer will develop original ideas, elaborate on preliminary design concepts, evaluate completed designs with their program/functional supervisors and other technical groups, and make the necessary design modifications to achieve the best design within the program constraints. The candidate may also develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs required to evaluate design work.
Desired experience includes Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS, Cradle, or CORE, and various analysis engineering tools, such as MATLAB, MATHCAD, and STK. Actual spacecraft operations and related ground systems expertise is always a plus. Additional experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, power systems modeling, avionics or digital electronics design, telecommunications design, risk analysis, thermal design and analysis, or integration and testing (either at the spacecraft or payload level).
• Evaluate design documentation and verification for compliance with customer and internally derived requirements
• Evaluate design documentation to ensure manufacturability and application of previous lessons learned
• Evaluate design documentation to provide evidence for requirement verification and hazard control verification closure
• Support mission operation tasks for all mission phases
• Evaluate System Level test results and generation reports & review packages
• Evaluate secondary payload options and perform feasibility studies for system integration of secondary payloads or secondary mission objectives
• Evaluate cargo loading and removal operations throughout the mission flow
• Provide support to selected elements of the program Systems Engineering Team
• Support and deliver SE Products and other deliverables, with a focus on mission success
• Develop/implement and communicate solutions to routine Engineering problems
• Contribute to the technical tasks supporting the program
• Provide systems engineering support for technical reviews
• Write status and technical performance reviews, analyses and reports
• Bachelor's degree in a STEM related Engineering field
• Nine years of related experience in aerospace, vehicle automation, industrial automation or anywhere in the technology industry
• Nine years of experience in system and subsystem interactions
• Position requires a Top Secret clearance or Top Secret/SSBI. Must have U.S. Citizenship with a current or active Top Secret level clearance.
• Experience with Systems Engineering process
• Experience defining requirements & interfaces
• Understanding of spacecraft integration & test, launch, and mission operations
• Experience with human spaceflight vehicle development including integration & test
• Experience developing verification documentation
• Experience with architecture development
• Familiarity with electrical & computer systems
• Familiarity with command and telemetry database
• Strong Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) & Matlab scripting skills
• Master's degree in a technical discipline with 7 years professional experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering